Saturday, February 4, 2012

So Southern Saturdays: Serenbe

Last Sunday, my friend Jennifer and I took a day trip to the community of Serenbe in Palmetto, GA.
I had been wanting to go there for 2 years and finally had the opportunity! After, visiting, I quickly realized I need to come back in the late Spring when all the plants are in full bloom, but the scenery was still amazing with all the beautiful homes and pastures.
Serenbe is located on over 900 acres in the heart of Chatahoochee Hill country.The founders, Mary and Steve Nygren, discovered Serenbe on an outing to introduce their kids to the Georgia countryside. They first purchased 60 acres in 1991, dilapidated dwellings and all. Understandably, with it's beauty and charm, they  fell in love with the area and sold their Atlanta home and moved there to restore the place. They turned the old buildings into a bed and breakfast and a restaurant. Them , along with other founders, purchased the remaining land and turned into what is now known as Serenbe. It is their idea of a sustainable community that encourages strolls to town down winding dirt roads and paved sidewalks, neighborly chats over picket fences, celebrates the arts and fine food, while preserving the land around them. It kind of remind me of a modern day "Leave It to Beaver" scene.


Our first stop when we arrived was the Farmhouse, for lunch. The weather was sunny and high 60s. it was perfect. We drove through the main part of town and were lead down winding roads to green pastures with donkeys, horses, and cows. There was what seemed to be a working farm, Serenbe Farms. Just past the farm was the Farmhouse restaurant, literally, an old farm house. It was charming with the bed and breakfast next door.



We had a really good farm-fresh lunch out on the screened porch. I ordered the fried chicken plate with butter beans, sweet potato soufflĂ©, and greens.  We started with an appetizer of fried green tomatoes with a roasted pepper dip. The endless Mimosas were refreshing and fun. Get the "endless" over the single serving. The single serving is $6.00 and really tiny, while the endless is $11 and you will probably want at least 2 glasses. Well, I did, anyway.  I think I had 3 and it was Sunday. Shhhhh.... 




After, our "like grandma made it" lunch, we headed out back to get some pics of the farm and horses.
There was a dark brown horse that was going crazy. he was running towards the fence and scaring me. I thought he was going to bust through or jump over the fence. Fortunately, we are all safe and weren't run over by the crazy thing! From what I understand, they had just put a female in "his" pasture and he was irritated. The brown & white horse, with one blue eye, was more friendly and I even fed her clover.




We had a great time enjoying the weather and the countryside. We headed back into the main town for dessert at the Blue Eyed Daisy Cafe and to check out some of the little shops.















It was an adventure worth taking and I can't wait to do it again in the Spring! By the way, Serenbe will be the host of the 2012 HGTV Green House. That should be exciting to see this Spring, as well.
I hope y'all get out this weekend and explore the countryside where you live.
I would love to hear about some cool places to see. Share in the comments.

I am also pleased to announce the winner of the giveaway by the Nib and Quill is Maureen!
Congratulations! 

Next Saturday, I will be featuring another awesome artisan and having a giveaway!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your feedback!