Sunday, November 20, 2011

Dollar Store Rag Rug Pillow Covers

I am so excited about these pillow covers! They are super chic, simple to make for all levels of sewing, and really, really affordable. These pillows cost me only $1 each to make!

All you have to do to make these is:

 fold them like an envelope, with right sides together.
Sew up each side.
Turn right side out.
Hand sew a button or two where you would like and you're done!


Until then, I wanted to share the pics I took of them. 


They are rag rugs from the Dollar store and I have always loved the texture of these rugs. I knew I wanted to make something with them, but wasn't sure what. Then, as I held them and really checked them out, I knew the people around me must have been thinking I was crazy hanging out with the dollar rugs for what seemed like forever! I kept folding them  to see how they looked as pillows. I was pulling on them to see if they stretched too much. It all looked good, so I grabbed a couple and headed home full of anticipation. You know that giddy feeling, when you get some bright idea for a craft and get your supplies and can't wait to get home to make it! You know you know. Okay, maybe, I'm the only one who gets that way, but I doubt it.



What's nice is these look pretty from both sides. This is the plain side, sans button. I like the simplicity of it. The textures and colors of the recycled knits make this pillow cover stunning.





I also like the detail of the fringe ends of the rugs.
I just used buttons I had in my stash.


I will be selling  these in my shop, too. 

Also, Thanks to Taradaramadeit.com for featuring me on her site last week and 
congratulations to ERIN at howtonestforless.com for winning one of my wood art signs!

P.S. I am entering this project in Not Just a Housewife's Best DIY Project of 2011 contest! Check it out:




8 comments:

  1. So cute! I have some outdoor pillows I need to recover, silly me, I have been looking at cushion covers on ebay. Now I am going to look for rugs at the .99 cent store instead - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good artcile, but it would be better if in future you can share more about this subject. Keep posting. UK49

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are allergic to synthetic and chemical-based ingredients, then ditch a memory foam mattress and go for eco-friendly latex toppers instead. which pillow is best in india

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is best blog post to get valueable content UAE Safari

    ReplyDelete
  6. 49's Lunchtime Predictions for today, uk 49 prediction app, uk 49 predictions for today teatime, uk lunchtime bonus predictions, how to predict uk 49 ...
    uk49s predictions/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Latest Uk49s lunchtime and UK teatime results, previous UK49 results and UK 49s teatime result for South Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uk49s Latest Results today teatime results in 2022. Latest 49s lunchtime and UK teatime results, previous UK49 results and UK 49s teatime result for South Africa. View today's UK49s Result, as well as the 2021 historical results from all draws that have taken place in the last 30 days.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your feedback!